After reading a fanfic that had an extended data dump scene between Bunta and Takumi I said "I should write a guide on how to write IniD fanfic." lucifie said that would be cool she'd help, and fool that I am, I listened to her. (For all that I know that she's even sleepier than I, since she's several timezones ahead.) So anyway, here's my start:
- If you're writing a long exposition scene involving a conversation between Takumi and Bunta, you're doing something wrong.
- If you insist on talking about working on a car, try googling some parts. You may still not make sense if you have them upgrading the camshaft in an RX-7, but at least the parts won't be imaginary magical slotted brake shafts that will give the car 5 extra ponies.
- If you don't know how to drive, don't write races. Don't write talking about anything to do with driving, in fact. You'll only look stupid.
- Also note - you can't fit formula engines in street cars.
- Don't jump road cars. They don't survive. Defintely don't jump them off an overpass.
- When Takumi starts using technical car terms correctly you know you're doing something wrong.