Very fussing week... It wasn't going to be all cake and roses to begin with, since Monday marked what has now become a week of rememberence and reflection for me. But this week has been a bit more of a humdinger than I expected...
1. A while ago I noticed that a couple of doors in the house have not been closing properly. This came up suddenly. I figure that the house settled a bit (maybe because of a minor earthquake?) The house is fifty years old, so a certain amount of settling is to be expected. When I bought the place there were several cracks in the walls. But the inspector we had come out said that they were all from normal settling and not anything to worry about. Now all the cracks that I sealed up when I moved in have reopened. Grr. At best, I will need to re-do the paint to cover them up. At worst, I may have bigger structural problems than I was thinking. I am not amused.
2. The DVD burner on the media server won't open, no matter what. I tried the paperclip trick, no go. And now the system is making weird gurgling noises. Yes, gurgling. Like water in pipes. Not a sound I expect a computer to make. I would be a good deal less fussed if this computer wasn't only five months old. I am not sure at this point that I would recommend Compaq.
3. The rally I was going to for my birthday has been postponed. Back to rearranging my plans A-gain. Irk, irk, irk. I suppose it's a good thing that I have been lagging on making reservations, since I do still have a little flexibility on changing plans around.
4. No, really, it looks like the dishwasher is leaking. I had water all over the floor again this morning. This is an intermitten problem that has been going on for a while now.
5. I'm finally getting around to painting my bedroom. This means I have to clear everything out of the room. I've been sleeping on a matress on sitting directly on a hardwood floor. I didn't think anything about it -- until I picked up the matress today and discovered that was a Very Bad Plan. It turns out that the matress has been retaining moisture from when I sweat in the night, and that has warped the floor, really badly. As in, I am going to have to redo the entire floor. *sigh* Most depressing. I guess the bright side of this is that I don't need worry too much about keeping the paint off the floor, since the floor is ruined already anyway.
So... three house problems, one computer failure and one plan blow-up. *sigh*
Yesterday I found out that I've been moved into a new development group. The other contractor who started with me and had been working with me on my first project is going to handle production issues and support.
For the first time in my life I have been put in development over a support position. I am... stunned. Inevitably when the option comes up, I end up doing support work. It's been a real fight staying in predominently development roles, and I have changed jobs more than once when it became clear that my job was going to be predominantly support.