Log in

No account? Create an account
18 August 2004 @ 08:41 am
Thinking Out Loud  

My company got bought. This is not news. The deal is supposed to close in November.

I was planning on going to Japan for about a week in November, to take an iaido test. I have the vacation time for this, and I've set aside the money to pay for it. It's a bit of a pain doing that so soon after buying a house, but I'll live. It's a budgeted expense, so it's not the end of the world.

Unfortunately, when I stare at those two paragraphs, one thought occurs to me: I'm going to be on vacation when the deal buying out my company closes. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? Should I go, or should I stay?

On the one hand, I would be gone during a lot of Important Company stuff. I might miss meetings where they announced plans for the future of the company, which may have great financial impact on me. On the other hand, I get to stay away during all the fuss and the politics. There are advantages to that. Also, this is the best opportunity for me to go to Japan to test for at least a year and a half.

This morning my Cute Lil Brain decided to throw an additional kink into the whole thing. It pointed out that if I decide that no, really, it probably isn't a good idea to be gone when the company gets bought, then I have vacation time and money available to go somewhere else. And that taking a vacation before the company is bought might be a prudent idea, since life gets very uncertain after that. It further pointed out that Wales Rally GB is a month away, so it's still not too late to think about going.

I hate my Cute Lil Brain sometimes.

So now I dither. Do I move forward with plans to go to Japan in November, and decide that I just don't care about what else may be going on at the same time? Should I err on the side of caution, and skip going to Japan -- which leaves the door open for going to Wales? Or do I go the ultra-cautious route, and decide to spare myself the expense and just sit at home and console myself with thoughts of Mexico?

It's frustrating. I feel like this year I'm going to keep missing opportunities because there is so much uncertainty in my life that I keep holding off, hoping for some stability. If I hadn't been doing that, I would have gone to test in Japan this past April, and might even have gone to Rally Mexico (which sounded like a total party, *sniff*) Instead I did the safe thing, and I feel like I missed out on a lot of opportunities because of that. And I feel like because of the job uncertainty, I'm about to do it again.

On a slightly related note, it is very odd to be in a position where I hope that the company buy-out does go through. (It's worth more money to me if it goes through than if it doesn't; it still doesn't mean that I am not still looking for a new position starting come November.) I think I might be about the only peon not hoping that it falls apart.

Randomly, I think the double chocolate chip creme was a tactical error. *bounciebounciebouncie*
Current Mood: bouncie
puddlemizutamari on August 18th, 2004 07:27 pm (UTC)
Is there any way you can keep in touch with the company- via email-during trip to Japan?

*wishes she could go to Wales again*

I dunno... I wish I could give you some advice that's ACTUALLY helpful... but... *shrug*

*laughs her ass off* I can just see you go bouncie-bouncie-bouncie! You're so CUTE!
K. Stonhamsakon76 on August 18th, 2004 08:05 pm (UTC)
Well, if you're looking to leave, how greatly does the deal closing affect you? Furthermore, assuming you're here when it occurs, what is the likelihood of you actually being able to affect the things that happen? Two things to weigh in.
Sandpanthersandpanther on August 18th, 2004 09:15 pm (UTC)
Oddly, the deal actually closing effects me a lot. The consequences of it effect me variously, depending on exactly what said consequences are. If I stay until the closing, I stand to gain a fair chunk of money -- enough to live on for nearly a year, not including any severance or unemployement I could get. So in that regard it isn't a big deal if I come back to find out that I've been laid off.

There is, however, suck to coming back and finding out that I've been laid off. Starting with it would suck to come back and find that my cube has been cleaned out and my coworkers are spread to the five winds. *ponders* Well, more the former than the latter. The only coworkers I think are likely to be immediately pink-slipped who I would care about keeping in contact with I have non-work contact information. So mainly, I think I'm worried about coming back to work and finding the Black Death gone. Is that sad?

(The Black Death doesn't think so. OTOH, the Black Death is kind of psyched that it gets to spend the next four days at the front desk being babysat by one of my coworkers while the office move is taking place. BD is a little weird sometimes.)

In terms of being able to effect things that happen if I'm here... Well, I'm planning on starting the job hunting in advance of the November deadline, with the caveat that I can't start any new job until the terms of my settlement from this one are fulfilled. So it could be inconvenient to be out of the country right when I'm job hunting. Though it's not like I haven't done it before. I went to Japan for a week just after accepting this position (but before quitting the previous job), so there would be a certain symetry to doing it again -- though hopefully with better results this time!

So from that perspective it doesn't make any sense not to go to Japan. I think the hang-up in my mind is that it doesn't "look good" if I'm not here when all the important company stuff is going down. And in my department it is more important to look good than to actually to the right (or logical) thing. So it might be easier if, for the time I remain here, that I do plan on sticking around so that I can make everyone feel happy by being here to muck through all the stupid politics.

(All that is actually more of a reason to go, rather than stay. The dumb office politics around here are about to drive me homocidal.)

Oh, and since my payout for sticking around is in the form of stock options, being here might be a better idea, so that I can act immediately should there be a reason to do something with the stock Right Now. That's probably the biggest reason for not going, actually. That stock pay-out is how I'm planning on making my mortgage should I abruptly end up without a job.

All in all, it actually makes a lot more sense to go. It's just the uncertainty with the continuance of cash flow and the difficulties of dealing with coworkers that makes me hesitant.

(Good questions, though! It certainly made me stop and think in order to present to another person all the little thoughts buzzing around in my head. Thanks!)
The Gina: pirategrlshipofools999 on August 18th, 2004 08:53 pm (UTC)
Go! Either to Japan or Wales. Whatever you do, don't sit at your desk. Go somewhere and have a real vacation. With the stress you have been under, you need it.

I can't weigh in on the Japan or Wales question because I don't know enough about how much they would mean to you. Personally, I wouldn't care about missing the close of the buy out, but that is me.
Leighlucifie on August 18th, 2004 11:59 pm (UTC)
I personally would not want to be around for it. You can't control what the higher ups are going to do, and its increadibly frustrating to sit through a bunch of BS meetings and listen to how wonderful the new situation isn't(having to spend the past several weeks dealing with this shit I can attest to how grandly enjoyable it is).

We have the added crap here that means with the changing contract we loose all acrued vacation and sick leave so come september 1st we all get bumped back to 0 and tough luck if we wanted to take a paid vacation any time soon (unsurprisingly, a lot of people have been taking time off lately).

I would say go, but only if you will not spend the whole vacation stressing about what's going on back home. If you think you're going to be worried about it while away I'd put the vacation off, you won't be getting the most out of the trip if that's the case.